What Can Mold In Your Home Do To Your Health

Molds are harmful agents inside the home that can have profound effects on our health. It may grow in damp and poorly ventilated areas of a home. There are various types of mold, each posing one or the other dangers to your health. Molds produce allergens such as irritants and toxic chemicals. Inhaling mold bacteria can aggravate the airways leading to different health issues including nasal congestion, coughing, wheezing, running nose, red eyes, throat irritation, asthma and skin irritation. These problems may be delayed or immediate. People living in damp and moist homes are also at increased risk of depression, increasing the risk of asthma and respiratory symptoms. There are various other health effects of molds, some are common while others are rare.

Getting rid of mold is not easy. It cannot be completely eliminated as the mold bacteria keep on spreading in the environment through the air. All molds need moisture and water to grow and thus, preventing moisture and water build-up is the best way to get rid of mold. Clean up the mold in your house and repair any water leaks.

Mold can impose various health issues on your health. Some of them are listed below:

  1. Respiratory disease:

Excessive exposure to molds can lead to major respiratory and breathing problems. The mold bacteria can get into your lungs, causing irritation in mucus membranes and leading to malfunction of the lungs. This can lead to chronic asthma or allery attack, coughing with blood and bronchitis.

  1. Gastrointestinal illness:

Apart from the lungs, molds can also infect the mucus membranes of the stomach. Mold infections can also lead to gastrointestinal problems, including nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea. This may also cause sudden lost in appetite and weight.

  1. Skin problems:

A mold bacterium that touches your skin may cause various skin problems like skin rashes, skin irritation, etc. The major signs of mold infection include red skin, itchiness, patches and irritation. Thus, you should make every effort to treat the mold the right way and avoid open sores to the skin.

  1. Toxic effects:

Excessive amount of mold bacteria when inhaled or ingested can be dangerous to your health. There are various types of mold. The greenish-black mold growing on wood, tiles and paper produce a large amount of mycotoxins, causing dangers to your health. Mold can also grow on food, especially the vegetables, cheese, breads, etc. that haven’t been consumed for days. Any food, with signs of molds growing, should be thrown with immediate effect. Any accidental eating of such food might lead into nausea, headache and in some cases, even diarrhoea and vomiting.

The best thing to prevent such dangers to your health is to keep your home mold free. As soon as you see the mold growing, clean it immediately so as to avoid any further spread of molds. It’s not just about maintaining the cleanliness of your home but for your family’s protection as well.